For your success in AP U.S. History and AP European History.
|Zinn Assignments 8|
ZINN CHAPTER 8: Study Questions
"We Take Nothing by Conquest, Thank God"
1. Identify the thesis or theme in this chapter.
2. How did the U.S. use the Texas-Mexico border dispute to its advantage?
3. Explain the term "Manifest Destiny" and its implications on U.S. foreign policy in the 1840s.
4. Explain the Whig position vis-à-vis the Mexican War.
5. How does Zinn portray Abraham Lincoln’s position?
6. How does the U.S. philosophically justify its aggression?
7. What evidence does Zinn utilize to illustrate American opposition to the Mexican War?
8. How does Zinn use the ethnic composition of the U.S. army to reinforce his argument?
9. How does Zinn characterize the morale of U.S. soldiers after the initial stages of the conflict? Provide evidence cited throughout the chapter for why soldiers came to feel the way they did.
10. Explain the statement: "It was a war of the American elite against the Mexican elite, each side exhorting, using, killing its own population as well as the other."
11. Provide evidence of how the Mexican population was affected by the war.
12. How did veterans fare economically after they came home from the war?
13. Discuss how Zinn uses the phrase "We take nothing by conquest, thank God" to buttress his argument.